What does it mean to “high lift” an overheard garage door?
High lifting or ‘highlifting’ a garage door means extending the height of the door’s vertical track so that it hugs the wall and goes up higher before reaching the horizontal curve. This modification allows for better use of the vertical space in a garage by moving the garage door track closer to the ceiling, giving you at least an additional 12″- 24″ of headroom in your garage.
What are the benefits of high lifting a garage door?
The benefits to high lifting an overhead door include:
- Increasing clearance: High lifting the garage door allows for greater vertical clearance, which can be useful if you have taller vehicles or need to store larger items in your garage.
- Improving natural light: By raising the garage door higher, you can increase the amount of natural light that enters the garage particularly if you have transom style windows above your garage opening.
- Enhancing accessibility: If you use your garage for more than just parking vehicles, such as a workshop or storage area, high lifting the door can improve accessibility. It allows for easier loading and unloading of large items. It also provides more headroom for working on projects or the installation of a car lift.
- Flexibility for future needs: High lifting the garage door gives you greater flexibility for future use of the space. If you decide to convert your garage into a living space, studio, a gym, or home office, the increased clearance can be hugely beneficial.
- Potential for increasing property value: A high lifted garage door could add value to your property. It can be an attractive feature for potential buyers or renters who require additional clearance for specific vehicles or storage needs.
What’s involved in installing a high lift?
High lifting a garage door typically requires modifications to the door system, such as tracks, springs, drums, rollers, and installation of a side-mounted opener. The conversion project is often done in a single visit.
What does it cost to high lift my garage door?
Prices vary a bit depending on configuration and opener selection, but expect to pay between $500 and $3,000 per door. High lifting is most cost effective when done as part of a new door installation.
Want to learn more?
If you are interested in learning more about high lifting your garage door, give Garage Door Doctor a call at (704) 800-5800. We’d love to discuss your project and see how we can help.